Monday, December 31, 2012

Flavored Lit'l Smokies/Meatballs

Pin It

Another one of my childhood favorite appetizers are Lit'l Smokies.  Haven't made them in years, since I used to wait tables on holiday night parties.  But since my family is starting our celebrating early (like all day) on New Year's Eve, I thought I'd share this recipe with ya'll.  It's really good with meatballs, too!  My family loves this special treat....I think they are on a "protein-high!" lol  It's a hit with company or special events, too.

Since I'm making both today, the sauce only had to be made once.  The original recipe called for chili sauce, but I saved over $2-$3 by making my own recipe with ingredients already on hand.   The chili sauce recipe is adapted from Food.com.

Ingredients:
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar homemade
4 tbs vinegar
3 dashes allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
3 lbs of smokies ( I used beef)
2-3 lbs of meatballs

You can either make this over the stove or in a crockpot.

Since my tomato sauce is stored frozen in quart size bags, because I portion the big cans from Costco, I heated it up in the separately from the smokies...but you don't have to...I just like to heat up the sauce with the spices before tossing it in the meat.

So, in a medium bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, allspice, & cinnamon, stirring well.  You can heat it up before adding it to the meat, but don't have to...I like the flavor of it...tastes just like the bottle @ the store!  (YES!!!)

Either in a crockpot or in a large pot on the stove, heat together the homemade chili sauce, cranberry sauce, and meat.  The jellied cranberry sauce will "melt" once warmed.  Once heated thoroughly , serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...