Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cherry Dump Cake

Pin It

This recipe was just discovered about 3 years ago.  It is a definite family favorite.  I love the flavor of cherry and pineapple mixed together.  The recipe is real quick to put together without much effort.

With the price of canned cherries being outrageous, except during the holiday/baking season, I learned how to make my own cherry pie filling this summer.  I've never done it before, but @ $1.67/lb, I thought it would be good to learn how!  My fingernails were deep red for a while, as I de-pitted many, many pounds of cherries.  I also learned how to make my own cherry pitter.  Granted, it is so much quicker to buy the ones that do 5 cherries at a time!

In this recipe, I used my own cherry pie filling.  I like my cherry pie filling saucy, so I decreased the amount of cherries for each batch to 4 cups.  Each freezer bag holds 2 1/3 cups of filling, equivalent to one can.  The Cherry Dump Cake recipe is adapted from here.

Ingredients:
1 can crushed pineapples
1 can cherry pie filling or homemade
1 dry yellow cake mix
1 stick butter/margarine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.  Pour evenly pineapples into pan.  Layer the cherry pie filling over the pineapples evenly, as well.  Sprinkle evenly the cake mix over the pie filling completely.  Dab the butter/margarine over the mix.

Bake in oven for about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...