Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

Pin It


Does anyone else use Pinterest or Google to find new recipes using up items in their pantry, even items that are out-dated, aka expired?  A lot of times, I'm searching for new recipes to use up close-to-expiration items or past-expired-items, all because I like to stockpile!  I think I came across this recipe a few months ago and forgot about it.  I bought a big ole box of graham crackers from Costco a few months ago, and they didn't get used up before the expiration date 1-2 months out, of course! 

After making this recipe, I'm thrilled to be down a box of graham crackers after this recipe; I have one left to go! lol  It was really pretty easy to make.  The recipe is adapted from The Kitchen is My Playground.  My husband is trying to decide on if he wants this recipe to be his "Birthday Cake" or do his favorite French Silk Pie again.  I love that this recipe has a super-terrific fudgy coating...from scratch! mmmmmm  It's so rich and delicious!  I'm told I have to make this again!...I take this as a compliment! :)

Ingredients:
2 cups homemade Cool Whip recipe
1 5.9 oz box Jell-O vanilla instant pudding
2 1/2 cups milk
1 box of graham crackers
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium mixing bowl prepare the homemade Cool Whip.  In another mixing bowl, mix together the pudding and milk with a mixer for 2 minutes.  Gently fold the Cool Whip into the prepared pudding until well combined.

In a 9x13 pan, lay out a layer of graham crackers.  Pour half the pudding mixture onto the graham crackers, top with another layer of crackers, and repeat.  Make sure that all the graham crackers are coated with the pudding.  Top with a final layer of graham crackers and set aside.

In a saucepan, heat the cocoa powder, sugar, and milk.  Stir until boiling.  Boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and let rest for 1 minute.  Add the butter and vanilla.  The chocolate will quickly get thicker as you stir just long enough to melt the butter.  Once the butter is melted and the frosting looks amazing, be proud of yourself!, pour on the 3rd layer of graham crackers.  Make sure the chocolate is as even as possible.  Refrigerate for about 3-4 hours, or until firm.  (My family couldn't wait for this process to be over!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...