Saturday, September 29, 2012

Homemade Egg Rolls

Pin It

You know how you can do nothing but crave a certain type of food for weeks or even months at a time?!  Well, I've been craving nothing but Chinese so much that my DH doesn't want to have Chinese on our lunch dates anymore. :(  I was thrilled to see that Costco started selling some egg rolls in their stores!  But, with a family of 6, an 18 count box doesn't last very long!

Decided that I would venture out and make some of my own, why not, right?  I even ventured to make my own sweet & sour sauce to go with these versus paying $2+ for a bottle that would not last long at all! lol  I still do want to try to make my own egg roll wrappers....another time perhaps!  (I just wanna say that I've done it before!~)  The recipe is adapted from For the Love of Cooking.

Ingredients:
splash of oil
1 16 oz package of coleslaw mix
3 baby carrots shredded
1/2 cup diced onions
1 tsp powdered ginger
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs corn starch
1/4 cup water
15 egg roll wraps
1 egg beaten 
oil for frying

In a large saucepan, saute the coleslaw mix, carrots, and onions until softened.  If needed, add just a splash of water, if it's too dry.  Once cooked down, add the ginger and soy sauce and let simmer just a bit.  Once you have taste tested and approved the flavor and the texture of the veggies, in another small glass, mix well the corn starch and water, and pour onto the veggies and stir.  Immediately,  there should not be any liquid in the saucepan.  Let cool some.



Meanwhile lay out an egg roll wrap diagonally, apply some of the beaten egg on your finger or brush and smear on the top 3/4 of the wrap.  In the middle portion about a spoonful (about 2 tbs) of the veggies on the wrap.  Fold in the sides, then roll up from the bottom up.  The egg sealant will seal the wrap from separating while cooking.


Preheat a skillet of oil on about medium/medium-low, or it will splatter.  Gently place a folded egg roll in the oil and cook about 2-3 minutes per a side, or until golden brown.  Cool on paper towels.  Serve with sweet and sour sauce.  Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...