Monday, August 15, 2011

Liquid Laundry Soap

Pin It I've been making my own laundry soap for some time now, like way before we were getting out of debt.  But, even though we are debt free from doing the Dave Ramsey plan, I'm still making my own.

There are so many different recipes out there, powder vs liquid.  But, my favorite is the liquid, as I don't have to make it as often for powder & costs less.

Recipe:
1 cup Washing Soda
2 cups Borax (whitener & water softener)
1 bar Ivory soap shredded
1 cup Dawn liquid soap (optional)

I stir the grated Ivory soap in a large saucepan with about 1/4 full of water, until it melts.  Carefully, add the Borax & Washing Soda, stirring until dissolved over low heat; careful to not let it bubble-over (just from experience).  You can add the Dawn liquid soap at this time, as well.  Remove from heat.  I take 3 1-gallon size pitchers, filling them about 3/4 full in each with water.  Then, I portion the soap mixture amongst the three pitchers.

You do not have to wait until the soap gels up; it can be used immediately.  I use 1/2 cup/load for my xlarge tub basin in my washing machine.  For my whites, I use 1 cup with warm/hot water.  If you'd like, just stir it first, if there is any settling, for every load.

*I have always made this with Ivory soap for reasons that's what the recipe called for or was free after coupon.  I just made some tonight using an "Irish Spring" scent that was labeled mild.  I think my clothes come out smelling better than before using the Ivory.  The smell is not overpowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...