Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hash Brown Sausage Casserole

Pin It

Wanted to bring something different to a brunch meeting with some friends.   The Hash Brown Sausage Casserole recipe is adapted from this Easy Potato and Bacon Breakfast Casserole.  It was intended for me to take in the morning.  But, it smelled so good, that we ate it for dinner, instead.  Now, I have another one to make for tomorrow.  I was so proud of myself for being all prepared for tomorrow... It's alright, I've got plenty of potatoes to shred in my stash to use.

Ingredients:

1/2 diced onion
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup diced green chilies
1 lb sausage (use 1 cup)

4 cups thawed hash browns or homemade
3 cups shredded cheese
3 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt

Saute onions, peppers, and green chilies until cooked.  Then, cook the sausage with the veggies & drain the grease.  Toss the hash browns and shredded cheese with the sausage mix in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, and salt, and then combine with the hash brown, cheese, and sausage.  Stir well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat 9x13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray.  Pour mix into pan.  Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes, careful to not burn.

*I only used 1 cup of the sausage mix for this recipe to stretch it further.  But, other recipes use the full 2 cups.
*To make the homemade hash browns, just put 4-5 small potatoes through the shredder of a food processor.  Let soak in some lemon juice, to keep from turning brown.  Steam in microwave on "Baked Potato" button, about 7-10 minutes.
*To stretch my milk in baking/cooking, I'll dilute my 2% milk in half with water, 50:50.

Kid Tested & Approved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...