Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chocolate Cheesecake (1st Attempt)

Pin It

Many years ago, I got some springform cake pans for a gift.  They have sat in my kitchen mocking me, every time I looked at them.  I was intimidated to use them to make my own cheesecake.  Yesterday, I conquered that fear!  While the appearance is not perfect, the taste is de-li-cious!  

The recipe I used did not educate me enough about how to prevent cracks in the cake...I did not know that would even be an issue!  Needless to say, I will try these tips later to get my perfect cheesecake.  My husband was very skeptical about me baking my own cheesecake vs. buying one.  As rich and full of flavor, it was everything he hoped and expected from a store-bought dessert, but from Angela's Kitchen, aka Me.  The recipe is from Allrecipes.com.  (Please make note that this is my first time to make this cheesecake.  If you are apprehensive, please read the tips posted earlier in the paragraph.)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
24 oz cream cheese softened
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups chocolate chips
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Mash together the butter, crumbs, and sugar.  Spray your springform pan with a nonstick cooking spray.  Press the mixture evenly in the bottom of a 9-inch pan or a 10-inch pan,   if you don't want as tall of a cake.


In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.  Gradually, add the sweetened condensed milk, until nice and creamy.


Add your melted chocolate.  I melted mine in the microwave for 1- minute, stirred, then for another 30 seconds.


On low, mix the chocolate with the cream cheese.  Add the eggs and vanilla, but do not overmix.  


 Pour the "dreaminess"into the pan.  I've heard that placing the springform pan in a water bath helps prevent the cracks.

Bake for about 50-65 minutes.  When the middle is tested, it will still be creamy.  I read that if the center 3" seems wobbly, it's ready and that it will continue baking as it cools.  The toothpick should not come out "dry" when tested.  Let cool until at room temperature, then place in refrigerator.  Garnish with chocolate syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...