Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Crispy Chicken Fingers

Pin It

A few years ago, I became so disgusted with the over-priced frozen chicken fingers at the grocery stores.  Out of desperation, I decided to make my own, like at the restaurants.  To save money and make the chicken last longer, I serve these "precious beauties" on a bun and fill up the tummies for my four "baby birds!" lol  However, my Dear Husband loves to sample all the chicken pieces while I'm at the stove making these!  It makes me feel good to see him approve of "What's For Dinner?"  I also love that I know what the ingredients are in these!  It is a little time-consuming to make them, but sooo worth the wait!  My Dear Husband loves to eat these dipped into honey mustard!

Ingredients:
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenders, or bites
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs
1 cup water or milk (add more as needed)
shortening


Directions:
In a large skillet, melt the shortening on medium heat.

In a mixing bowl, add the flour, Italian seasoning, chili powder, garlic salt, and pepper.  Mix well the ingredients.  In another bowl, add the eggs and milk or water and whisk well together.  Add more milk or water as needed.

My fingers get real "gummy" in this next phase...

A few pieces at a time, dip the flour into the flour, then the egg wash, and back into the flour mixture.  Once the oil is hot, but not too hot, place the floured chicken into the skillet.  The chicken should start frying immediately.  Fry the meat for about 7-10 minutes at a time, until golden brown.  I usually flip the meat over after about 3-4 minutes.  (You may need to adjust the temperature of the oil, be careful not to burn it.)  Continue cooking the rest of the chicken in batches.

When done, place let cool on a plate with paper towels.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...