Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti Casserole

Pin It



This casserole is one of my family's favorite dishes.  I usually don't have leftovers.  I had just finished making a turkey earlier in the week, that I bought last year.  In place of the chicken, I used turkey; it tasted great.  I like that you can throw in any kind of veggies that you want; it's great for the little bit of leftovers.  The recipe is adapted from Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:
14.5 oz spaghetti**
1/2 onion diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1/2 cup fresh chopped spinach
1/4 cup corn (optional)
1/3 cup green chilies diced make your own
1 can cream of mushroom soup homemade
1 can cream of chicken soup homemade
2 cups milk*
1 can Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
Garnish with diced tomatoes and shredded cheese.

In one large pot, cook your spaghetti according to the directions on package.  **I've also made it with bowtie pasta as well; it was a super-hit with one of my 4 boys, as he does not like spaghetti much.

In a small saucepan, saute the onion, peppers, spinach, corn, and green chilies until soft.

*If you are making your own cream of chicken soup, add 1/4 cup diced mushrooms.  This will substitute the two canned cream soups and the 2 cups milk.  You will not need to make the cream of mushroom soup.  I love that I can throw it together, it's pretty forgiving.  You only need to make one of the homemade soups.  Hence, there's only 3 cups water and 1 cup milk, plus the seasoning and mushrooms.

In a large bowl, combine your soups, milk*, chicken, sour cream and the cooked veggies.  Then, stir in the cooked spaghetti.  It wasn't until just recently that I decided to add a sour cream to give it a more creamier flavor.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray with a nonstick cooking spray a 9x13 pan.  Place the pasta into the pan.  Cover and bake for about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  Garnish with the diced tomatoes and shredded cheese.

Husband & Kid Tested & Approved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...